This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.406 / 51°24'21"N
Longitude: -1.8328 / 1°49'58"W
OS Eastings: 411725
OS Northings: 167455
OS Grid: SU117674
Mapcode National: GBR 3VS.ZBF
Mapcode Global: VHB45.5XXJ
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311570
Location: East Kennett, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: East Kennett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
EAST KENNETT VILLAGE CENTRE
SU 16 NW
5/149 Christ Church
Anglican parish church. 1863-4, by Gane of Trowbridge. Diaper
flint and sarsen with limestone buttresses and dressings.
Twentieth century tiled roof, but C19 tiles to porch. Nave and
chancel, with lateral tower on north. Lancet windows, 3-light
cusped east window, wheel headed west window. Buttresses have
nailhead decoration around top offset. Two stage tower with north-
west angle stair and short spire with triangular pinnacles on
angles. Two-light bell openings with colonnettes and ball flower
decoration to outer arches. Lombardic corbel table with corner
colonnettes and dog-tooth eaves. Porch has four-light openings
along sides and an open roof.
Interior: Nave of 5 roof bays. Plain ashlar walls and arched
braced collar trusses on Corinthian corbels. Chancel arch with
arris rolls on similar carved corbels with knotted tails to bottom
of short shafts. Hoodmouldings also have carved terminals.
Chancel has scissor rafters and archbraces, and pierced frieze
above wall plate. Heavy carved cornice below east window.
Fittings: All C19. Font, at west end. Octagonal with sunk
quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit, oak with half-octagonal carved front.
Choir stalls with desk on columns. Altar rail and table altar.
Monuments: In chancel, two fine early C18 wall monuments, white,
grey and coloured marbles. On north side: 1716, a panel set
forward with broken pediment and large bust wearing a cap against a
grey marble pyramid. Flanking half urns. Fluted brackets below
with putti and shield. To Charles Tooker of East Kennett, erected
by Ann Saunders of Mingwel. South side: A white tablet with
triangular pediment and supporting scrolls. Draped urn over and
roundel with head in profile in apex of grey marble pyramid.
Shield between brackets below. To Ann Tooker, died 1707. Nave:
North side. Wall monument, C18. White marbles. Convex central
panel with cornice and base between side panels. Arms in baroque
frame over, between urns. Fluted apron, drapes and flanking putti
below. To Sir Charles Tooker, died 1700. Tablet, mid C19, white
marble on slate. Tapered panel between pilasters and gabled top.
To Richard Mathews, died 1849, and a marble Great War memorial. On
south side: Wall tablet, C19. White marble on slate. Panel
between pilasters. Draped urn over, to Richard Mathews, died 1842
and descendants to 1882. Also a limestone tablet to Richard
Vigers, died 1947 and wife. At west end end: Two tablets, C19.
White marble scrolls on black field. Left: to John Mathews of
Spean, died 1879, and wife. Right: Elizabeth Fisher of
Winterbourne, Newbury, died 1863, and husband. Centre: A painted
metal commandments board. Over south door, a framed Royal Arms on
canvas, dated 1781.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Victoria County
Listing NGR: SU1172567455
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings