History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Worlington Hall Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Worlington, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.336 / 52°20'9"N

Longitude: 0.4901 / 0°29'24"E

OS Eastings: 569753

OS Northings: 273796

OS Grid: TL697737

Mapcode National: GBR PB6.JQP

Mapcode Global: VHJG5.FKZ2

Entry Name: Worlington Hall Hotel

Listing Date: 16 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275801

Location: Worlington, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Worlington

Built-Up Area: Worlington

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Worlington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Worlington

Listing Text

TL 67 SE WORLINGTON MILDENHALL ROAD

3/59 Worlington Hall Hotel
-
- II

Hotel. Formerly house. C16 with alterations of late C18 and c.1900. Hall
range with 2 cross-wings; various extensions to right and rear. 2 storeys and
attics. Timber framed; the front wall rebuilt late C19 in red brick, with
corner pilasters of finely-gauged orange brick, moulded brick string at 1st
floor and moulded wooden eaves cornice. Plaintiled roofs with gable and
central chimneys of gault brick with repairs in red brick. Cross-windows of
c.1900; moulded terra-cotta architraves and, at ground floor, open pediments.
C19 side entrance door with some beaded panels and semi-circular head, glazed
side-lights. A central rear parallel range was added C18, and to rear of that
a 2-storey bay of painted brick with flat leaded roof and small-pane sash
window. The left-hand wing has a large C16 rear chimney of red brick and a
prominent dormer, the barge-boards and collar having billet carving of c.1600.
In the bar is complete late C16 oak wainscotting with strapwork-carved frieze
and full-height pilasters with crude capitals; the fireplace surround and
overmantel are heavily carved with sunk arcaded panels and pilasters. The
wainscotting is believed to have been taken from a rear 1st floor room. The
C20 extensions of red brick to right and rear are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TL6975373796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.