This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0081 / 52°0'29"N
Longitude: 0.9845 / 0°59'4"E
OS Eastings: 604931
OS Northings: 238617
OS Grid: TM049386
Mapcode National: GBR SLX.3Q9
Mapcode Global: VHKFG.0STF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277274
Location: Raydon, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7
Civil Parish: Raydon
Built-Up Area: Raydon
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Raydon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 03 NW
Church of St Mary
Church. Late C13 - early C14, restored 1883. Flint with ashlar dressings, south
side rendered. Timber porch. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave with low bell house
to west, south porch and north vestry. Slightly lower chancel. Square bell house
with louvres and pyramidal roof with ball finial. Nave: diagonal off-set
buttresses to west end. South side: probable late C19 gabled porch contains
original south door, continuously moulded under pointed arch with stoup to right
and surmounted by a niche. Off-set buttress to east of porch. Window
to west restored, 2-light with ogee-cusped Y-tracery. Centre window has 2 cusped
lights with cusped spherical triangle in head and window to east has 2 cusped ogee
lights with cusped vesica in head. Hoodmould with head stops to all windows. North
side: C19 gabled vestry, windows similar to south side. Chancel, south side:
central pointed priests door has shafts with moulded capitals. Off-set buttresses
with cusped gables. Window to west a single cusped light surmounted by trefoil
under hoodmould with panel of blind tracery below which may once have been open.
Pair of 2-light windows with geometrical tracery under hoodmoulds. North side:
two similar windows with geometrical tracery and V-shaped buttresses (Cautley p1.8).
Diagonal buttresses to east end with fine crocketed pinnacle finials. 4-light east
window replaced 1883. Interior: nave piscina with cusped pointed arch. Brackets
of former rood beam flank chancel arch and stairs survive to north. Tomb recess
with cusped heavily-moulded arch with head stops of type used as Easter sepulchre.
Fine piscina with open geometrical tracery. Wall tablet to John Mayor (d1663)in
marble with broken segmental pedimented aedicule.
H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches 5th ed 1982, p340 pl.8.
Listing NGR: TM0493138617
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings