History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers and Gates Approximately 80 Metres South East of Great Tew House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9581 / 51°57'29"N

Longitude: -1.4223 / 1°25'20"W

OS Eastings: 439796

OS Northings: 229004

OS Grid: SP397290

Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.77Q

Mapcode Global: VHBZB.91GR

Entry Name: Gatepiers and Gates Approximately 80 Metres South East of Great Tew House

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Last Amended: 18 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251851

Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Tew

Listing Text

GREAT TEW NEW ROAD
SP3929 (East side)
10/38 Gatepiers and gates approx.
27/08/56 80m. SE of Great Tew House
(Formerly listed as Great Tew
Park together with dovecote,
Stable quadrangle with gateway
and garden walls)
GV II*
Gatepiers and gates. c.1700, probably for Francis Keck. Limestone-ashlar piers
with wrought-iron gates. Large square piers have moulded plinths and cornices,
sides ornamented with richly-moulded fielded panels, and each pier carries a
fine garlanded stone urn with gadrooned cover. Contemporary wrought-iron screen
includes 2 standards from which hang a pair of gates with scroll work panels; a
scrollwork lock rail continues across the side panels, and the standards carry
cornices and finials. An elaborate overthrow includes repousse work and a
central shield of arms. Probably re-sited when the Jacobean mansion was replaced
by the present house.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.227; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.627;
C. Hussey, "Great Tew, Oxfordshire - I", Country Life, July 22, 1949).


Listing NGR: SP3979629004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.