History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kiveton Park Colliery Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Wales, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3392 / 53°20'21"N

Longitude: -1.2649 / 1°15'53"W

OS Eastings: 449044

OS Northings: 382732

OS Grid: SK490827

Mapcode National: GBR MYLT.YP

Mapcode Global: WHDDZ.JBWF

Entry Name: Kiveton Park Colliery Offices

Listing Date: 15 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335855

Location: Wales, Rotherham, S26

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Wales

Built-Up Area: Kiveton Park

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wales St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Todwick

Listing Text

WALES COLLIERY ROAD
SK48SE
(south end) Kiveton Park
4/104 Kiveton Park Colliery
Offices

GV II

Office buildings. Dated 1875. For the Kiveton Park Coal Company. Red brick,
Welsh slate roof. Irregular U-shaped plan, Gothic-styled details. Main elevation
facing colliery: 2:3:2:2 bays, the 2 bays on left as a tall gabled crosswing
of 2 storeys, the bays on right of 1 storey with attic. Gabled bays on left:
chamfered brick plinth, moulded sill band. Buttress between sashes with traceried,
round-arched heads with pointed hoodmoulds; corbelling beneath a v-shaped 1st-
floor bay window with 2 square-headed sashes beneath a 1/2-pyramidal roof.
Asymmetric gable with square clock turret rising on right and having glass-
faced clocks on a drum beneath a pyramidal roof with louvred gablets. Offset
lateral stack to rear of turret with rebuilt shaft. Lower bays on right, set
back: cast-iron air bricks in plinth with lettering 'Built in the year/of THE
LORD 1875'. Stone sill band links sashes; buttresses flank gabled central bays
which have traceried round-arched heads with hoodmoulds and gable oculus with
crossed glazing bars and decorative brick surround. Roof dormers above outer
bays; octagonal central lantern with swept roof; original offset end stack on
right with corbelled top. Right return: 2-bay end gable on left has inserted
pay hatches flanking a 1st-World War memorial in the form of a segmentally-
pedimented Ionic aedicule. Door on right with lower link block beyond having
front addition and tall stack set to rear. Taller, single-bay block on right
has arched-headed 4-pane sash beneath decorative brickwork and 2 slit windows
in gable, original ridge stack. Left return: canted, 2-storey, bay-window projection
under its own hipped roof. The sinking of the colliery began in 1866; these
well-detailed and well-preserved offices of 1875 are an unusual survival in
the South Yorkshire coalfield.


Listing NGR: SK4904482732


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.