History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund and George

A Grade II Listed Building in Hethe, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9605 / 51°57'37"N

Longitude: -1.1385 / 1°8'18"W

OS Eastings: 459291

OS Northings: 229463

OS Grid: SP592294

Mapcode National: GBR 8WS.0YW

Mapcode Global: VHCWR.6ZZG

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund and George

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243635

Location: Hethe, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Hethe

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hethe

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hethe

Listing Text

HETHE MAIN STREET
SP5829-5929 (North side)
17/42 Church of St. Edmund and
07/12/66 George

GV II

Church. Mid C12. restored by G.E. Street in 1859. North aisle added by Street.
Squared coursed limestone and limestone rubble. Steeply pitched C20-tile roofs
with stone-coped gables. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch.
Chancel has a restored 3-light geometrical east window and a restored 2-light
Perpendicular window on south. South has a restored C12 doorway and restored
window with round arched head. Set back buttresses. North aisle has a 2-light
reticulated window and two C19 lancet windows. Diagonal buttress. Nave
clerestory windows on north and south have three 2-light lancets with trefoiled
heads and hood moulds. South aisle has 2-light Perpendicular windows with
squared heads, the one to right of porch with hood mould and label stop.
Pilaster and diagonal buttresses. C19 gabled porch. South doorway with arched
head and plank door. West bell-turret by Street has open timber sides and wood
shingle roof. Interior. Decorated piscinas in chancel and south aisle. C19
three-bay nave arcade on north and south. C19 roofs and fittings. C12?
tub-shaped font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp645-6; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
pp178-181)


Listing NGR: SP5929129463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.