History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashdown Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartfield, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0709 / 51°4'15"N

Longitude: 0.041 / 0°2'27"E

OS Eastings: 543093

OS Northings: 132151

OS Grid: TQ430321

Mapcode National: GBR LNX.Z1C

Mapcode Global: FRA B6Z9.1SZ

Entry Name: Ashdown Park

Listing Date: 31 December 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286432

English Heritage Legacy ID: 296358

Location: Hartfield, Wealden, East Sussex, RH18

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Hartfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Coleman's Hatch Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Forest Row

Listing Text

HARTFIELD WYCH CROSS
1.
5208
Ashdown Park
TQ 43 SW 11/119
II
2.
Originally a country mansion. Later the Convent of Notre Dame, when it was
considerably enlarged. Now Barclays Bank Training Department. The original
portion as a house dates from 1867. Two storeys and attic. Six windows. Ashlar.
Slate roof. Flanked by crow-stepped gables. Beneath these are projecting bays of
5 lights each on ground and first floors with castellated parapets over. Thin
pointed sash windows, mostly in pairs. Quatrefoil openings over the ground floor
windows. Service wing to west. To the west again is a later Convent addition.
On the east side the house is adjoined by a screen to the former chapel of
Our Lady and St Richard, now a lecture room. This was added to the Convent
in 1926. It comprises a chancel, nave and south-west tower. Stone. Steep
slate roof. C14 Gothic style. To the east again is a further but detached
Convent wing probably of the same date as the chapel.


Listing NGR: TQ4309332151

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.