History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pelham Place Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindfield, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.011 / 51°0'39"N

Longitude: -0.0843 / 0°5'3"W

OS Eastings: 534486

OS Northings: 125256

OS Grid: TQ344252

Mapcode National: GBR KN6.HJ7

Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.T48

Entry Name: Pelham Place Cottages

Listing Date: 6 April 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303062

Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Lindfield

Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lindfield

Listing Text


TQ 3426 LINDFIELD BLACK HILL
(north east side)
6/151 Nos 1-6 (consec) Pelham
6.4.70 Place Cottages
GV II
Cottages, formerly workshops and dormitories of a pioneering industrial school.
c1825 built by William Allen (1770-1843), a Quaker and social reformer restored
C20. Originally 2 buildings, now linked and forming an L-shaped range of 1
storey. Stuccoed with hipped slate roofs. 8 sashes having 30 panes in deep
reveals and doorcases with 6 flush panelled doors and rectangular fanlights.
Road elevation of L wing has 3 sashes, central 16 paned and others 12 paned. No
1 has a C20 flat roofed extension to left together with Little Pelham (Item 152)
originally the school-master's house, this is all that remains of Allen's
community to ameliorate moral poverty which included cottages with 2 acres of
land. The school was open to pupils of any religion and possessed a farm, a
printing office and workshops. Fees were 3d a week for boys, 2d for girls and ld
for infants with reductions for large families and good attendance.
(See Country Life - November 22nd 1956).


Listing NGR: TQ3448625256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.