This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4506 / 53°27'2"N
Longitude: -1.4255 / 1°25'31"W
OS Eastings: 438246
OS Northings: 395025
OS Grid: SK382950
Mapcode National: GBR LXHJ.5S
Mapcode Global: WHDDB.2JFK
Entry Name: Monks Smithy House
Listing Date: 23 November 1973
Last Amended: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335709
Location: Rotherham, S61
Electoral Ward/Division: Keppel
Built-Up Area: Thorpe Hesley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Hesley Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39NE ROTHERHAM UPPER WORTLEY ROAD
1/73 Thorpe Common
Monks' Smithy House
23.11.73 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse with attached farmbuildings also known as Kirkstead Abbey Grange;
undergoing renovation and subdivision at time of resurvey. Probably C16 or
C17 reusing a variety of medieval material, reconstructed and renamed in 1900
for the Earl of Effingham. Gritstone and sandstone rubble walling, stone slate
roof. Elongated 2-storey range with house on left having 4 windows to 1st floor,
farmbuildings to right with 2 lower additions to right-hand end. House: large
quoins. C20 casements. Central doorway has chamfered, C12-style round arch.
To left of door: 2 windows to each floor, 3 of them in chamfered, quoined surrounds
(ground-floor window nearest door may be of C15 date); water spout at eaves
between windows. Total of 5 windows to right of door all alterations of 1900,
those to far right in position of former lateral stack. Another round-arched
doorway at centre of range is flanked by small trefoil-headed lights, that to
left resited in 1900; plaque above door has Effingham crown above words
'KIRKSTEAD / ABBEY GRANGE / RESTORED 1900'. Farmbuildings to right now have
external stone steps. Various openings include an early doorway (now window)
with chamfered, quoined surround and, to its right, a small round-headed window
(possibly C12). Loft door has, to its right, a boarded hatch with early peg-
jointed frame and, to its left, a small wood-framed opening now housing casement
but with mortices for wood mullions. Additions to right end: front walls being
rebuilt at time of resurvey. Main range has wallstone end stack to left and
ridge stack to right of main door, truncated brick end stacks to right and at
junction of two additions.
Rear: 2 small trefoil-headed lights, one of them reset without jambs. 4 small
round-arched openings (unlikely to be medieval). Chamfered rectangular slit,
possibly that removed from position of present loft steps in 1900.
Interior: floor structure of house partly exposed at time of resurvey; chamfered
beams and heavy-scantling joists in central room. Moulded tie-beam in
lst-floor room to left; moulded ashlar fireplace in same room possibly resited
from original lateral stack. Interesting 9-bay, king-post roof structure with
additional truss at junction of bays 6 and 7. 3 curved braces to ridge above
house and evidence of truss infill, some members chamfered. 1 principal-rafter
truss has soffit-morticed tie beam for wallposts and braces, saddle apex. 3 end
bays of hay loft have simpler king-post roof of separate construction but with
one truss having moulded, cambered tie beam with post and brace mortices at one
end only, broach-stopped chamfer to king post (an open truss perhaps re-used
from a framed cross-wing).
Long regarded as having been erected by Cistercian monks of Kirkstead Abbey
(Lincolnshire) following a charter of 1161-6 allowing them to build houses and
4 iron-working forges in this locality. Now interpreted as having a more complicated
history but possibly retaining elements of the original structure as well as late-
and post-medieval material.
T. W. Hall, A Descriptive Catalogue of Sheffield Manorial Records, 1928, pp229-232
(contains 2 valuable photographs of pre-1900 fabric).
P. F. Ryder, extensive survey report in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record,
Sheffield primary index No 163, 1984.
Listing NGR: SK3824695025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings