This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8467 / 50°50'47"N
Longitude: -0.3024 / 0°18'8"W
OS Eastings: 519608
OS Northings: 106610
OS Grid: TQ196066
Mapcode National: GBR HM6.VRL
Mapcode Global: FRA B68V.L1Z
Entry Name: Lancing College, the Chapel
Listing Date: 12 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297259
Location: Lancing, Adur, West Sussex, BN15
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Lancing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lancing St James the Less
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/01/2013
TQ 10 NE
Lancing College, the
Designed by R H Carpenter in 1868. The Master Builder was William Blackford Woodard,
the third son of the founder, Nathaniel Woodard. It is built of stone from a quarry
belonging to the College at Saynes Hill in Sussex. C13 French Gothic style. The
crypt, which is above ground, was built between 1871 and 1877 and served as the
College Chapel until 1911. In 1882 foundations were laid for a tower (unbuilt) at the
south-west corner of the building. The main portion of the Chapel was finished in
1911. It consists of an apse and 10 bays. Central portion with aisles. Great
buttresses flank the windows of the aisles. Over the roof of the aisles double flying
buttresses connect the buttresses below to the walls of the main building. Balustrade
of pointed arcading. Slate roof. The west wall with its great rose window was
completed between 1960 and 1975. Architect, S E Dykes-Bower. The stalls were
designed by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1851 and moved here from Eton College Chapel in
1923. Nathaniel Woodard, the founder of the College was buried in the chapel in 1891
in a chantry-like tomb. So is his son, William Woodard. The War Memorial Cloister on
the south side was designed by Temple Moore and added in 1920-7. The whole is a
particularly fine example of Gothic Revival building. Illustrated in the Builder
pps 944-5 1868.
Listing NGR: TQ1961206608
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 December 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings