History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Firbeck Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Firbeck, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3936 / 53°23'37"N

Longitude: -1.1496 / 1°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 456650

OS Northings: 388867

OS Grid: SK566888

Mapcode National: GBR NYD6.X6

Mapcode Global: WHDDN.9YTR

Entry Name: Stable Block at Firbeck Hospital

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335767

Location: Firbeck, Rotherham, S81

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Firbeck

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

FIRBECK NEW ROAD
SK58NE
(east side, off)
3/21 Stable-block at
29.7.55 Firbeck Hospital

GV II

Stable-block now workshops and store. Probably late C18 remodelled early
C19. For the Firbeck Hall estate. Rubble and ashlar limestone, slate roof.
U-shaped plan. Symmetrical front range: 2 storeys, 1:3:1 bays, end bays project
slightly. Tall central carriage entrance with ashlar piers and impost band
to basket arch with projecting keystone; C19 iron gates with 3 rails having
curved braces and decoration of inverted U-shaped bars and finials. End bays:
24-pane sashes with wedge lintels. 1st-floor band continuous from impost
of arch, blind 1st-floor windows to bays 2 and 4 have square-faced surrounds;
unequally-hung sashes with glazing bars to end bays. Eaves band. Central
bay has shaped gable with clock in architrave; ashlar parapet links to matching
false gables over flanking bays these with blind arrowslits. Hipped roof
with corniced ridge stacks at the hips and central bell turret. Courtyard
elevation of rear-right wing: 1-storey, 8 bays. Keyed, round-arched doorways
to bays 4, 6 and 8, other bays with sashes except bay 2 now with garage doors.
Opposite wing: 1 storey, 4 bays each with bonded ashlar surround and segmental
arch to carriage house. Attached range enclosing rear of courtyard not of
special interest.


Listing NGR: SK5665088867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.