This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9797 / 50°58'46"N
Longitude: 0.157 / 0°9'25"E
OS Eastings: 551516
OS Northings: 122246
OS Grid: TQ515222
Mapcode National: GBR LQ7.JJ0
Mapcode Global: FRA C66J.BZ6
Entry Name: The Gallery
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296251
Location: Hadlow Down, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Hadlow Down
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Buxted and Hadlow Down
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
In the entry for:
5208 HADLOW DOWN BLACKBOYS
TQ 52 SW 27/615A 26.11.53 Stables to the
The entry shall be amended to read:
5208 HADLOW BLACKBOYS
TQ 52 SW 27/615A The Gallery
House, formerly stables later converted into Gatehouse with drawing office above.
c.1740 built for Sir John Fagg of Wiston altered by Edward Maufe after 1926,
who converted the building into a gatehouse to Shepherd's Hill (see item 27/615)
with drawing office above. Built of red brick with hipped roof. Eaves cornice
and slightly projecting central bay with pediment to south west. 2 storeys.
3 windows to south west elevation. 1st floor has sashes with 9 panes and ground
floor has round-headed windows and central door. Rear elevation has 4 sashes,
a balcony with the letter 'M' in the iron work and 2 rain water heads with the
letter M and a shell. Ground floor has 3 round-headed arches.
(See Article in "The Architect and Building News" 14.1.44).
HADLOW DOWN BLACKBOYS
Stables to the north-west
TQ 52 SW 27/615A of the Shepherd's Hill
C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Red brick. Eaves cornice. Tiled roof.
Central projection with carriage archway through it and pediment over.
Lunette window on each side on ground floor.
Listing NGR: TQ5151622246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings