History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanwick, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3326 / 52°19'57"N

Longitude: -0.5642 / 0°33'50"W

OS Eastings: 497935

OS Northings: 271469

OS Grid: SP979714

Mapcode National: GBR DY6.N6C

Mapcode Global: VHFP7.5MLP

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 26 April 1950

Last Amended: 17 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286673

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232427

Location: Stanwick, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Stanwick

Built-Up Area: Stanwick

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Stanwick St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stanwick

Listing Text

RAUNDS RAUNDS ROAD
SP97SE (North side)
Stanwick
5/125 The Old Rectory
26/04/50 (Formerly listed as Stanwick
Rectory)
GV II*

Rectory, now house. Datestone 1717 refers to rebuilding by Sir James Burrough
for Peter Needham, probably partially remodelled C19. Squared coursed limestone
with ashlar facade and felted and battened roof at time of inspection. Double
depth plan. 2 storeys with attic. Main front of 5-window range. Central boarded
door has moulded stone architrave and flight of steps. Sash windows with glazing
bars also have moulded stone architraves. Raised string course between floors
and moulded stone cornice. Hipped roof with stone stacks. Elevation to left has
long arch-head stair window, with glazing bars. Rear elevation, also of 5-window
range of sash windows with glazing bars, under stone lintels, was probably
remodelled mid C19. Central ashlar porch with panelled door has datestone.
Interior not inspected but noted from photographs as having C18 staircase with 3
turned balusters per tread and fielded panelled rooms. Rebuilt in 1717 at a cost
of £1,000. The previous rectory was home of William Dolbens.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4, p.51; N.M.R.: Photographic collection).


Listing NGR: SP9793571469

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.