This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5132 / 51°30'47"N
Longitude: -0.0854 / 0°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 532951
OS Northings: 181102
OS Grid: TQ329811
Mapcode National: GBR SC.YQ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.G7P9
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199400
Location: City of London, London, EC3V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Cornhill
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Cornhill
Church of England Diocese: London
Church of St Michael
TQ 3281 SE 10/312 4.1.50.
1670 to 77, by Wren. Tower 1715 to 21 by Hawksmoor. Remodelled and refitted circa 1860 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Aisled body with arcades on Doric columns. Plaster vaults. Circular clerestory windows and circular top lights to aisles. West tower, open to church, with vestibule to south and porch, entirely by Scott, to north. Most of exterior is obscured by adjoining buildings. South side of nave of Portland stone with 4 round arched windows filled with C19 tracery. Clerestory rendered with wooden cornice. Tower in gothic style of Portland stone, in 4 main stages. Polygonal turrets with ogee caps. Very rich gothic porch of Portland stone with shafts of polished pink granite to archway and much carving. 1st World War memorial, by Richard Goulden, attached to north-west corner. Small bronze group on narrow stone pedestal. Interior owes nearly as much to Scott as to Wren. Venetian renaissance tracery to windows with fine stained glass. Circular east window above reredos of coloured marble incorporating C17 paintings of Moses and Aaron. Altar rails, tiled pavement to choir, elaborate pulpit and lectern, pews etc all mid C19. C17 marble font on new base and carving of pelican. Good wall memorials.
Listing NGR: TQ3295081099
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings