This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5112 / 51°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.0921 / 0°5'31"W
OS Eastings: 532493
OS Northings: 180866
OS Grid: TQ324808
Mapcode National: GBR RD.GG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.C85V
Entry Name: Church of St Michael Paternoster Royal
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199391
Location: City of London, London, EC4R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Dowgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St James Garlickhythe
Church of England Diocese: London
COLLEGE STREET EC4
Church of St Michael
TQ 3280 NW 15/416
TQ 3280 NE 16/416 4.1.50.
1686 to 94, tower completed 1713, by Wren. Damaged in World War II and restored
with internal alterations at west end etc. Simple compartment, now reduced to
4 windows north and south, with cove to flat ceiling. South-west tower with modem
lobby to east of it and offices etc on several floors to north. Main elevations
of Portland stone. 5 round-arched windows to south with corniced doorway beneath
western opening. Main cornice with high blocking and balustrade. Similar west
front of 2 bays. Doorway here and to south with lamp bracket over. East front
of red brick and stone. 3 windows. Central attic with circular window, flanked
by consoles. Low vestry rebuilt. North front also of brick and stone. Tower
continues treatment of adjoining elevations then short stage with circular windows.
Mullioned and corniced belfry openings. Main entablature topped by pierced parapet
with 4 urns. Octagonal, stone lantern in 3 stages with order of Ionic columns
to lowest and crowning weather vane. Plain interior has some decorative mouldings
to ceiling. Modern west gallery and wainscot, east doorcases etc largely or wholly
renewed. Good original reredos and pulpit, composite lectern etc. 2 sword rests
and hat stand. Carved figures of Moses and Aaron. Large brass chandelier. Wall
monuments. Later C19 font of coloured marbles. Organ case at least partly old.
Listing NGR: TQ3249980865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings