History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

50, Hallgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Town, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5222 / 53°31'19"N

Longitude: -1.1308 / 1°7'50"W

OS Eastings: 457724

OS Northings: 403187

OS Grid: SE577031

Mapcode National: GBR NWJQ.Z3

Mapcode Global: WHDD2.LQQP

Entry Name: 50, Hallgate

Listing Date: 12 June 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335027

Location: Doncaster, DN1

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Doncaster

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Doncaster

Listing Text

TOWN OF DONCASTER HALLGATE
SE 5703 SE (south side)

7/32 No 50

12.6.50

GV II

House, now offices. Late C18 or early C19 with minor later alterations. Stucco
with stone dressings and slate roof. Three storeys and 5 bays. Plinth. Central
semi-circular headed cavetto moulded doorcase with double panelled doors below
traceried fanlight, set in wide panelled pilastered surround with plain entablature,
moulded cornice and blocking course. To either side, single sashes with panelled
aprons, projecting sills and 6-pane upper sash over single pane lower sash, set
in pilastered surrounds with frieze and cornice which form a composition with the
doorcase. Similar sash to left and inserted semi-circular headed C20 glazed door
below plain fanlight to right with small recessed panel above. Continuous moulded
cornice to ground floor and plain first-floor sill band. Five first-floor sashes,
with 6 panes to upper sashes and single panes to lower sashes, central one in
moulded architrave with eared base below moulded cornice on consoles and with
panelled apron. Above five smaller sashes with 3-pane top sashes and single pane
lower sashes, all with projecting sills, central one in shouldered architrave with
plain bracketed sill. bloulded stone cornice, rendered end stacks. Quoins visible
to return walls. Interior has open-well, open-string, cantilevered stone staircase
with mahogany handrail above ground floor, with alternating plain and looped iron
balusters. Octagonal ceiling light above to third floor with brightly coloured
glass. Pilastered round arches to three sides of first-floor landing. Left room
to ground-floor with fine vine and acanthus cornice, first floor rooms with reeded
cornices and corner paterae. King post trusses to roof.


Listing NGR: SE5772403187

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.