This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.306 / 52°18'21"N
Longitude: -0.5925 / 0°35'32"W
OS Eastings: 496062
OS Northings: 268471
OS Grid: SP960684
Mapcode National: GBR DYK.F15
Mapcode Global: VHFPD.P94L
Entry Name: 12, Market Square
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232360
Location: Higham Ferrers, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Higham Ferrers
Built-Up Area: Higham Ferrers
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Higham Ferrers St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HIGHAM FERRERS MARKET SQUARE
SP9668SN (East side)
Part shown as No.4, Wood Street on Ordnance Survey map.
House, now offices. Probably early C18 origins, mainly late C18/early C19 and
datestone IC/1921. Squared coursed limestone, with ironstone, and slate roof.
Double-depth plan. 2 storeys, part 3 storeys. Main front of 6-window range of
irregularly spaced sash windows with glazing bars, those at ground floor are
unhorned, all under renewed stone and rendered lintels. C20 glazed door right of
centre is set in leaded screen with a rendered head. 3 bays right of centre,
break forward slightly, and have a simple, flat-topped, pediment above, set
against a rendered parapet wall. Ashlar stacks at ridge and end. Evidence of 2
builds to left of centre bays. Blank plaque in centre of pediment. Carriage arch
now forms part of No.11 (q.v.). Elevation to right of main front is a 4-window
range of sash windows with glazing bars, some with stone lintels and keyblocks.
3-bay range to right is 3 storeys, with windows reducing at second floor. Rear
elevation has 2-storey, canted bay window to right and large central stair
window. Early C20 datestone to left of window. Interior: entrance hall and
staircase have reset C17 style panelling and open fireplace. Windows have
panelled reveals. First floor room has ceiling beams. Known for a time as The
Manor House: John Cole records in 1838 that the manor house was recently
(John Coles, History and Antiques of Higham Ferrers, published 1838).
Listing NGR: SP9606268471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings