This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3057 / 52°18'20"N
Longitude: -0.5907 / 0°35'26"W
OS Eastings: 496182
OS Northings: 268446
OS Grid: SP961684
Mapcode National: GBR DYK.FGF
Mapcode Global: VHFPD.Q91S
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232374
Location: Higham Ferrers, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Higham Ferrers
Built-Up Area: Higham Ferrers
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Higham Ferrers St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HIGHAM FERRERS WOOD STREET
SP9668SW (South side)
20/73 Manor House
23/09/50 (Formerly listed as No.7
Manor house, now house and office. Mid C17, restored C19. Squared coursed
limestone with C20 plain tile roof. T-shape plan. 2 storeys with attic. Main
front of 3-window range with gabled cross wing breaking forward to right.
Central square stone bay window with gable has 6-light stone mullion window,
with transom, to ground floor and similar 6-light window to first floor. 2-light
attic window is blocked. 2-light stone mullion windows to right bay, gable of
cross wing and return wall of cross wing. 2-light attic window to cross wing is
blocked. Ribbed and studded door to left of centre has moulded stone surround
with 4-centred arch head. Similar square-head door to return wall of cross wing
is under wood lintel. Ashlar gable parapets and central ashlar stack. Rear
elevation of 3-window range of mainly C19 stone mullion windows. Elevation to
right of main front is a similar 2-window range. Interior: centre room has fine
C17 full height panelling with frieze decorated with scrolls and vine leaves.
C17 fireplace with similar overmantel. Room to rear of cross wing has similar
panelling with frieze decorated with vine leaves. C17 fireplace with 4-centred
head. Moulded spine beams. C19 staircase to far left. Deeds indicate it was
originally property of the Rectory, owned by Lawrence Washington in 1567.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.259).
Listing NGR: SP9606268471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings