This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4947 / 51°29'40"N
Longitude: -0.2299 / 0°13'47"W
OS Eastings: 522975
OS Northings: 178790
OS Grid: TQ229787
Mapcode National: GBR BG.DQT
Mapcode Global: VHGQX.YPTJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 17 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201797
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, W6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Hammersmith Broadway
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Innocents and Saint John Hammersmith
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2278 GLENTHORNE ROAD W6
17.6.54 Church of St John the
Church. 1857-9. William Butterfield, with south chapel of 1898 by
J F Bentley. Yellow brick with bands and patterns of red brick. Some stone.
Tiled slate roof. Lofty town church with aisled nave of 4½ bays, lower
chancel and south west tower with saddleback roof and entrance under. N annex
early English/Geometrical style. Fine interior. Multicoloured brickwork above
pointed arcades. Circular piers. Fine cusped roof. Reredos of coloured marble.
tiles and mastic inlay,fine stone font, timber pulpit, and candelabra etc by
Butterfield. Butterfield ironwork to doors. Stained glass to aisle windows
by Alexander Gibbs, 1863-73,with Kempe glass to south east chapel. Altar rails
to south east chapel by Bently and also organ case, litany desk, cross,
Listing NGR: TQ2297578790
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings