History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Keppel, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4339 / 53°26'2"N

Longitude: -1.394 / 1°23'38"W

OS Eastings: 440357

OS Northings: 393184

OS Grid: SK403931

Mapcode National: GBR LXQQ.0R

Mapcode Global: WHDDB.KYDC

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 19 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335653

Location: Rotherham, S61

County: Rotherham

Electoral Ward/Division: Keppel

Built-Up Area: Rotherham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kimberworth St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Templeborough

Listing Text

SK49NW ROTHERHAM CHURCH STREET
(north side),
Kimberworth
5/21 Church of St. Thomas
II
Church. 1842 by Matthew Habershon, chancel added 1882 (Pevsner, p285).
Deeply-coursed,dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roofs. Orientated north-
east/south-west, ritual orientation used here. West tower, 5-bay nave
with lean-to south porch in angle with tower, narrower 2-bay chancel with
gabled projection to south and later, hipped-roof, vestry to north. Gothic
Revival, early work in Early English style. Tower : clasping buttresses
to lower part flank 2-light, Y-tracery, west window. Slit windows and
string course beneath clocks in quatrefoil ashlar panels. String course
beneath 2-light, louvred belfry openings with another string course above
peaked over openings. Quatrefoil-pierced parapet with 8 pinnacles. Nave
chamfered plinth band, ashlar offset buttresses between bays. Lancets with
C20 leaded lights in treble-chamfered surrounds. Moulded eaves band,
ashlar gable parapets. Chancel : lower. 3-light east window with cusped
and foiled lights, hoodmould with uncarved stops, gable copings with cross.
Projection to south, in same style, has 2-light window; chancel window to its
east has 2 trefoil-headed lights.
N. Pevsner, WE, 2nd Ed, 1967.


Listing NGR: SK4035793184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.