This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5555 / 53°33'19"N
Longitude: -1.1278 / 1°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 457874
OS Northings: 406890
OS Grid: SE578068
Mapcode National: GBR NWKB.M6
Mapcode Global: WHDCW.NW4P
Entry Name: Cooke's Almshouses
Listing Date: 10 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334918
Location: Doncaster, DN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Bentley
Built-Up Area: Bentley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Arksey All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY HIGH STREET
SE 50 NE (west side),
7/54 Cooke's Almshouses
Almshouses. 1660, gateway rebuilt 1736, C20 alterations. For Sir Bryan
Cooke (d.1660). Cement-rendered magnesian limestone (exposed on right
return), C19 shaped-tile roof. 12 single-storey dwellings set in U-shaped
plan with wing walls to central front gateway enclosing the quadrangle.
Roadside front: central gateway has C20 wrought-iron gates in renewed ashlar
sandstone surround with projecting keystone, pulvinated frieze and plaque
with Latin inscription beneath cartouche in coped gable. Terracotta tiles
form copings to attached wing walls which link to gable ends of almshouses
each having C20 casement, shaped kneelers and roll-moulded gable copings.
2 rendered stacks to each ridge. Within quadrangle: central round-arched
opening to passage through to rear. Nos 2, 5, 8 and 11 retain cemented
chamfered mullioned windows; chamfered door lintels, all painted. Exposed
within the passage to rear is the original roof structure with tie beam and
rafters pegged at apex. C20 additions to rear not of special interest.
Translated inscription of porch plaque (cited in Miller, p228) reads:
"Bryan Cooke, of Wheatley in the county of York, Esq. by his last will and
testament, signed the 3rd day of Jan. A.D. 1660, appointed this building
to be erected, a sum of money sufficient for that purposes being bequeathed
for the use of twelve persons the most distressed by poverty and age in the
parish of Arksey; to each of whom he left 5L. annually, in succession
"Sir George Cooke, Baronet, great grandson of the above named Bryan,
rebuilt this porch nearly levelled to the ground by the injuries
of time, Oct. 30 A.D. 1736".
E. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.
Listing NGR: SE5787306892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings