This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4315 / 53°25'53"N
Longitude: -1.3658 / 1°21'56"W
OS Eastings: 442236
OS Northings: 392934
OS Grid: SK422929
Mapcode National: GBR LXXR.3M
Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.Z0TN
Entry Name: Premises of Allans of Rotherham
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335647
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherham West
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Masbrough St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK4292 ROTHERHAM CHAPEL WALK
9/1 Premises of Allans
(formerly listed as
19.10.51 Chapel and as being
on College Road)
Chapel now carpet warehouse. Established 1760, dated '1777' on front window sill
although building was extended forward 1829-30. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar
sandstone quoins, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 5 bays. Loggia to full width
of ground floor has ashlar pier to left and 5 cast-iron columns on sandstone
pedestals, the right column supporting the corner of the building; openings now
infilled with C19 and C20 panelling and with 2 round-arched doors to centre
(boarded over); wood frieze and cornice. 1st-floor windows have moulded sills
(central sill with date) and cast-iron casements with glazing bars in architraves.
Modillioned cornice. Hipped roof. Left return: ashlar plinth. 4 windows to
ground floor, 5 windows above; all as front. Right return: loggia returns to
occupy bay I, otherwise windows as front.
Interior: enclosed loggia area damaged by fire. Body of chapel retains corniced
doorcases at each end and gallery on 4 sides with oblong well supported on cast-iron
columns with decorative capitals. Numerous wall monuments including a plaque to
Rev. John Thorp (d.1776) and several to members of the Walker family notably that
to Jonathan Walker (d.1807) with statue depicting man leaning on truncated column
with head in hand. 1st floor (not accessible) said to retain more Walker monuments.
Charles Chislett (ed), Masbro' Independent Chapel, Bicentary 1760-1960, 1960.
Listing NGR: SK4223692934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings