This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.526 / 53°31'33"N
Longitude: -1.1352 / 1°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 457427
OS Northings: 403607
OS Grid: SE574036
Mapcode National: GBR NWJN.1R
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.JMNR
Entry Name: Clergy House
Listing Date: 18 April 1969
Last Amended: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335010
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER CHURCH STREET
SE 50 SE (north side)
3/7 Clergy House (formerly
18.4.69 listed under St George
House, now vicarage. 1786, built for Dr Miller (see source below) with
later alterations and additions. Rendered stone with painted stone
dressings and slate roof. Two storeys and attics, 4 bays by 2 bays. Main
west front has off-centre pilastered doorcase with moulded pediment and
panelled door below traceried fanlight. 12-pane sashes with projecting
sills to ground and first floors, two to left of doorcase and one to
right, four above. Stone coped gables on plain kneelers, pair of rendered
rear wall stacks. South elevation to churchyard has C18 bay to left and
early C20 bay to right. C18 part has bow window to ground floor with
three 12-pane sashes, projecting sill and moulded cornice. To either side
there are blind semi-circular headed recesses. Wide first floor band
inscribed 'Harmoniae Sacrum'. Central Venetian window above with high
transom and small panes to upper lights. To either side blind flat-headed recesses. Narrow sill band. Pedimented gable with painted oculus above.
Later addition with 3-light windows and first floor sill band. North gable
wall with two storey canted bay windows with sashes and small attic window above.
Interior has flagged hall floor and thin turned baluster, dog-leg staircase
with square newels. panelled doors throughout.
Source - E Miller, 'The History of Doncaster', 1804.
Listing NGR: SE5742703607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings