This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4283 / 53°25'42"N
Longitude: -1.1195 / 1°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 458604
OS Northings: 392755
OS Grid: SK586927
Mapcode National: GBR NXMS.FR
Mapcode Global: WHDDN.S333
Entry Name: The Friary and Friary Close
Listing Date: 27 December 1962
Last Amended: 8 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334416
Location: Tickhill, Doncaster, DN11
Civil Parish: Tickhill
Built-Up Area: Tickhill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Tickhill St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 5892 5/3 ------------
The item shall be amended to read: The Friary and Friary Close
and the following sentence should be added to the list description:-
Friary now divided into 2
1. (south side)
SK 5892 5/3 27.12.62
Founded as an Augustinian Friary circa 1260 by John Clarel, a canon of Southwell,
and dissolved in 1530. Subsequently a house, held by the Slyman family in
the C17 and the Hawkesworths in the C18. Its church housed the Fitzwilliam
tomb (now in the Parish Church) until 1538. Present buildings, although problematical,
are substantially Cl4, adapted for domestic use in the C17 (perhaps at the
time of the lintel dated 1663), and enlarged in C19.
Coursed rubble. Stone slate roofs to pre-C19 parts, Welsh slate elsewhere.
Two storeys and attics. The house consists of 2 mediaeval blocks, joined
at their south-east, and, north-west corners respectively, the west block extended
westwards in 2 parts, the first with a C19 added first storey and south wing,
the second ground floor only. Also C19 is a wing filling the angle formed
by the mediaeval blocks. An engraving of 1810 shows sash windows, so the
present mullion and transom are therefore nearly all of C19 date. One possible
exception is tile 2-light stone mullioned window on the ground floor north
wall of tile first nester part of the west block. The only other pre-C19
features visible externally are as follows:-
1. Three stepped buttresses on the north side of the west block, with sections
of a plain string. course above them.
2. A straight-headed door, probably C18, on south side of west block, shown
on the 1810 plan.
3. A triangular chimney breast on very fine moulded corbelling at the west
end of the east block, with a thinner shaft below the corbelling. Its stack,
together with the others, which are all corniced, is probably C19, but looks
4. Upper part of trefoil-headed lancet on first floor to north of the chimney
breast. (The window below with Y-tracery is shown as a sash on the 1810
5. Pair of blocked doorways at first floor level on south wall of east block
6. Blocked mediaeval window of 2 ogival arches in centre of ground floor of south front
of east block.
7. Lintel and Artisan Mannerist rusticated door surround dated 1663, and
presumably re-set in porch on north side of western part of west block.
The most spectacular feature, however, is largely internal, although its north
end is partly visible from outside. This is a late C15 2-bay arcade with
moulded 2-centred arches springing from embattled capitals adorned with Tudor
rose badges: sculpted figure of an angle in spandrels. It runs along east
end of west block, and has to be seen from inside the C19 infill block. Below
the southern arch is, presumably reset, a C14 ogee-headed doorway. Further
west along a passage in the west block is a 2-centre arch, perhaps of C13,
at least of C14 date.
Listing NGR: SK5860492755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings