History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls of Old Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Palace Riverside, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4696 / 51°28'10"N

Longitude: -0.2127 / 0°12'45"W

OS Eastings: 524241

OS Northings: 176026

OS Grid: TQ242760

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.51W

Mapcode Global: VHGR4.8BF8

Entry Name: Walls of Old Garden

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286913

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201785

Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6

County: London

District: Hammersmith and Fulham

Electoral Ward/Division: Palace Riverside

Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints Fulham

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Fulham

Listing Text

In the entry for:

TQ 2476 and TQ 2475 FULHAM PALACE SW6

10/45 and 11/45 Walls of old garden

The description shall be amended to read;


Garden Walls. Mid/late C15, altered early C16 and rebuilt c.1765. Wall to front
(West) of mid/late C15 English bond red brick with blocked bee boles; upper courses
of C18 brick; entrance to centre has hood mould over 4-centred triple-chamfered
arch with label mould over worn stone panel set in crow-stepped gable. Other
walls rebuilt c.1765 in Flemish bond brick. Encloses area of approx. 110 x lOOm.
The C16/17 Bishops of Fulham Palace were noted for their botanical imports (from
throughout the world) into this garden.

------------------------------------

TQ 2476 and TQ 2475 FULHAM PALACE SW6

10/45 and 11/45

7.5.54 Walls of old garden.

GV II

Red and brown brick walls surrounding old garden to south east. Early 16th
Century red brick wall on north-west side has 4 centred arch with crow-
stepped gable. Remaining walls of later date in brown brick with occasional
buttress piers.


Listing NGR: TQ2424276026

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.