This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.851 / 50°51'3"N
Longitude: 0.5543 / 0°33'15"E
OS Eastings: 579899
OS Northings: 108831
OS Grid: TQ798088
Mapcode National: GBR PX9.GZM
Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.HS5
Entry Name: Royal Victoria Hotel
Listing Date: 14 September 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293990
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN38
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central St Leonards
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St Leonards-on-Sea St Leonard and St Ethelburga
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Royal Victoria Hotel
TQ 7908 NE 10/415
1828 by James Burton, much altered in 1903. Stuccoed. Slate mansard roof. 5
storeys, and attic. 1:3:3:3:1 windows, centre and ends project with pediments
over, the centre 3 rising through the attic with Royal coat of arms in pediment.
2nd and 3rd floor have giant order of pilasters supporting an entablature, at the
centre and ends there are giant Corinthian columns. 2nd floor canted bay windows
with ogee-shaped roofs. Bracketed eaves cornice. Pedimented dormers in mansard.
Rendered chimney stack with large cornices. On the ground and 1st floor the centre
projects with Corinthian columns supporting entablature with large round-arched
window to right and doorway to left with cast iron canopy over. To right of centre
the ground and 1st floor outbuilt modern, to left 2-bay arcade with balustraded
Part of James Burton's design for St Leonards. Original 1828 entrance at rear.
Originally named St Leonards Hotel built 1828-9, subsequently became favourite
rendezvous of the Royal Family. Past residents include Queen Victoria, King George
V, Prince Albert, Princess Louise, Edward VII and Edward Prince of Wales.
After French February Revolution of 1848 Louis Philippe resided here for some
time and was visited by Guizot and Thiers. Other distinguished visitors include:-
Gladstone, Palmerston, Tennyson, King of the Belgiums, HRH the Grand Duke of Baden,
Duke of Saxe Cobourg Gotha.
Nos 36 to 44 (consec) and No 40A (Eastern Colonnade), Royal Victoria Hotel,
Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western Colonnade), No 57 and Nos 60 to 62 (consec)
form a group of which Nos 60, 61 and 62 are of local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ7989908831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings