This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8722 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: 0.0072 / 0°0'25"E
OS Eastings: 541322
OS Northings: 110002
OS Grid: TQ413100
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8LW
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.LMH
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and Railings
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293208
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SW & TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
9/226 & 14/226 (north side)
25.2.52 Church of St Michael & railings
Parish church. C13, C14, 1748, restored and extended in 1885. Flint with
stone dressings and plain tiled roofs, except pebbledashed tower with shingled
spire. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel. Round west
tower with circular bell-opening to south. Tall octagonal spire. Main
street front to south of flint with stone plinth, door and window dressings and
moulded cornice-parapet with ball-finials at each end, essentially the front
given by the remodelling of the south aisle wall in 1748, gothicised in 1885.
3 central pointed-arch windows with hood-moulds, enclosing two lancets and
quatrefoil in arches, with pointed-arch entrances with panelled doors and hood-
moulds in outer bays, topped by oculi now enclosing quatrefoil windows. Main
entrance in west end of south aisle with segment-headed doorway topped by small
round-arched window above and to left. All gables parapetted and coped.
Interior: 5 bay C14 south arcade with double hollow-chamfered arches. Timber
arcade of 1748 to north aisle, panelled arches to octagonal columns with quasi-
Tuscan capitals. Chancel of 1885. Monuments: Tablet to Sir Nicholas Pelham,
d. 1559. Columned with kneeling parents and children below. Between the church
and the hall to the left are railings of cast-iron, neo-Gothic in style
probably dating from the alterations of 1885. Central gates with pointed
overthrow with Gothic-arched soffit; panelled openwork sides with cusped
arches and colonnettes. Railings and gates matching with low dog-rails.
Listing NGR: TQ4132110001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings