This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5417 / 53°32'30"N
Longitude: -1.3148 / 1°18'53"W
OS Eastings: 445504
OS Northings: 405227
OS Grid: SE455052
Mapcode National: GBR MW8H.43
Mapcode Global: WHDCZ.S73P
Entry Name: Thurnscoe Hall
Listing Date: 23 August 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333663
Location: Barnsley, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Dearne North
Built-Up Area: Thurnscoe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thurnscoe St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40NE DEARNE HIGH STREET
4/35 Thurnscoe Hall
House. Said to be built between 1670-1701 (previous list description)
for Thomas Shirecliffe. Ashlar sandstone, stone slate roof. Symmetrical
front with double wing to rear left and lower block in angle with main
range, another lower block attached to rear left of wing is of 2 storeys
with half basement. Main range: 2 storeys and attic, 7 bays. Moulded
plinth at sill level, chamfered quoins, moulded string courses above
windows. Central Doric stone porch with plain frieze and pediment,now
with glazed doors. Porch set in front of 2 rusticated pilasters which
continue to 2nd-floor string where they are linked by a broken segmental
pediment enclosing plaque with motto 'Famen Extendere Factis' and
animal's-head crest of Thornaby Taylor, last lord of the manor (d.1926).
4-pane sashes in projecting bead-moulded surrounds to ground floor.
Sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor, narrower 8-pane central window.
Moulded stone eaves cornice. Moulded kneelers and ashlar gable copings.
Shouldered ashlar end stack with band to left. To right of centre a
similar stack, altered. Right return: ground-floor canted bay with
French window, Venetian window above.
Interior, mostly altered: interesting cast-iron fireplace to ground-
floor left has eared architrave and decorative frieze. Ornate surround
to Venetian window first-floor right.
Listing NGR: SE4550405227
Other nearby listed buildings