History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aisled Workshop Immediately to South West of Office Buildings at Ncb Workshops

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoyland, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4945 / 53°29'40"N

Longitude: -1.4203 / 1°25'13"W

OS Eastings: 438553

OS Northings: 399916

OS Grid: SK385999

Mapcode National: GBR LXJ1.90

Mapcode Global: WHDD4.4FXC

Entry Name: Aisled Workshop Immediately to South West of Office Buildings at Ncb Workshops

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333895

Location: Barnsley, S74

County: Barnsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoyland Milton

Built-Up Area: Hoyland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Elsecar Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Elsecar

Listing Text

HOYLAND NETHER WATH ROAD
SK39NE
(east side, off)
5/21 Elsecar
- Aisled workshop immediately
to south-west of office
buildings at NCB workshops
GV II
Workshops. Mid C19, altered C20. Probably for G and W Dawes under lease from the
Fitzwilliam estate. Coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roofs. Tall elongated
single-storey range with lean-to aisles. Rebuilt gable facing office building
(q.v.) has large square-headed train entrance with quoined jambs. Datestone of 1850
removed and also stone plaque inscribed 'A Place the Everything and Everything in
its Place'. Other gable has a stone reading 'A Stitch in Time Saves Nine'. Right
return: aisles quoined and has 8 casements recessed beneath round arches; cleres-
torey walling divided by wallstone strips. Left return: aisle is masked by later
building (not of special interest). Boilerhouse chimney at left corner has octagonal
shaft rising from square base to broad cornice. Interior: partial arcades to each
aisle have cylindrical cast iron columns to round, brick arches; there was originally
a timber crane. Late building of the Elsecar Ironworks operated under lease from
Earl Fitzwilliam by George and William Dawes from c1850 until closure in 1884.
Later formed railway locomotive boiler repair shop prior to use as machine shop by
the NCB. C20 addition to rear not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SK3855399916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.