History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Fountain Inn Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tipton Green, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5287 / 52°31'43"N

Longitude: -2.0699 / 2°4'11"W

OS Eastings: 395353

OS Northings: 292320

OS Grid: SO953923

Mapcode National: GBR 4T6.0X

Mapcode Global: VH9YM.2PKV

Entry Name: The Fountain Inn Public House

Listing Date: 10 February 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219336

Location: Sandwell, DY4

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Tipton Green

Built-Up Area: Tipton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Tipton St Martin and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Tipton

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB OWEN STREET
SO 99 SE
Tipton

4/124 The Fountain Inn
Public House and No 52
10.2.82
II

Public house. Early C19. Brick, rendered at front and painted at rear,
with slate roof. Two storeys, two bays. Facade has boxed sashes with glazing
bars on first floor. On the ground floor is a timber public house front,
probably later C19, with pilasters and an entablature, and with a narrow window
at the right, possibly replacing a door. The doorway, with a mid-C20 surround,
is between the two main ground floor windows. The facade overlaps with No 52
to the right, which has a shop front on the ground floor and two boxed sashes
with glazing bars on the first floor. Chimneys on gables of Fountain Inn,
and to right of No 52, which has a lower roof line. At the rear are two wings,
with brick dentil eaves and with some sashed windows with glazing bars. From
1836 the Inn served as the headquarters of William Perry, the "Tipton Slasher",
boxing champion of England 1850-57. Internally the Fountain Inn extends above
part of No 52.


Listing NGR: SO9535392320

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.