History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lightwoods House, Lightwoods Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbey, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.472 / 52°28'19"N

Longitude: -1.9714 / 1°58'17"W

OS Eastings: 402038

OS Northings: 286012

OS Grid: SP020860

Mapcode National: GBR 5HC.KQ

Mapcode Global: VH9Z1.S448

Entry Name: Lightwoods House, Lightwoods Park

Listing Date: 21 March 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219292

Location: Sandwell, B67

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: Smethwick

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Bearwood

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB HAGLEY ROAD WEST (off)
SP 08 NW
Smethwick
9/81 Lightwoods House,
21.3.49 Lightwoods Park

II

House. Late C18, re-fronted mid-C19. Brick with stucco dressings and slate
roof. A symmetrical composition of two storeys and five bays, with chamfered
quoins. The three central bays project, also with chamfered quoins, and with
a pediment. The ground floor windows have rusticated surrounds and keystones.
The first floor windows, above a cornice, are sashed, have segmental heads, and
are flanked by pilasters with triglyphs over. Each has an apron with blind
balustrade and a segmental pediment with scallop shell motif. The porch has
rusticated engaged columns, triglyph frieze, and balustrade. The doorway has
a round head. Set back to the left is a one-bay pedimented pavilion, remain-
ing from the C18 building. At the rear is a Venetian stair window with Doric
columns as mullions. The VCH gives a sketch plan and elevation of the original
house, showing the extent of the C19 alterations. They state that a brick to
the east of the porch is inscribed: "Jonathan Grundy, June 19, 1780". (VCH,
pp 101, 102).


Listing NGR: SP0203886012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.