History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guildhall

A Grade II Listed Building in Worlingworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2718 / 52°16'18"N

Longitude: 1.2733 / 1°16'23"E

OS Eastings: 623421

OS Northings: 268785

OS Grid: TM234687

Mapcode National: GBR VLN.JQT

Mapcode Global: VHL9X.05Z8

Entry Name: Guildhall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 23 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281397

Location: Worlingworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Worlingworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Worlingworth with Southolt

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Tannington

Listing Text

WORLINGWORTH CHURCH STREET
TM 26 NW
5/116 Guildhall ( formerly
29.7.55 listed as Guildhall
Cottages)
- II
Former guildhall, subsequently parish workhouse and then cottages; now a
single dwelling. Circa 1500. Timber framed and plastered with thatched roof.
2 storeys and attics. Jettied gable end to left, largely obscured by lean-to
addition. 5 windows, mainly C18 3-light casements without glazing bars. 2
doorways with mid C20 plank and 6-panel doors. 3 flat-roofed dormers with old
2-light windows. Internal stack and gable stack to right, both with cross-
axial shafts. The frame is in 5 bays. There was a single 4-bay room on each
floor, with one-bay rooms at the west end (ground floor) and east end (first
floor). The cross-partition on the ground floor has been lost but evidence
for 2 doorways survives in the girding beam. Heavy bridging beams with solid
arched braces to the wallposts; exposed joists on ground floor, mostly
replaced by material brought from elsewhere. First floor has largely intact
plain studding with evidence for original windows with square mullions; 2 deep
sills for oriel windows. Heavy arched braces to the tie beams. The wallplate
has very short edge-halved and bridled scarf joints. In the east gable end is
the lintol of a former C16 fireplace, the associated stack largely replaced in
C18. East bay has C17 ceiling with plain joists set flat. The pitchpine
floors in the other bays date from c.1750 when the workhouse conversion was
made. The internal stack is also an C18 insertion. Queen-post roof, with
curved tension braces from the jowled head of each post to the end of the tie
beam. There are slo king-posts, springing from the tie beams and halved over
the collars, braced to a substantial ridge-piece.


Listing NGR: TM2342168785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.