History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Harberton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3933 / 50°23'36"N

Longitude: -3.7121 / 3°42'43"W

OS Eastings: 278397

OS Northings: 56229

OS Grid: SX783562

Mapcode National: GBR QL.PL1P

Mapcode Global: FRA 3830.9ND

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 26 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101334

Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Harberton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Harberton

Listing Text

HARBERTON
SX7856-SX7956
15/430 HARBERTONFORD
School House

GV II

House, formerly schoolmaster's house to adjacent school. The Old School
(qv). 1849. Slate rubble with granite dressings. Steeply pitched asbestos
slate roof with cross-gables left and right with ornate pierced
bargeboards. Rendered chimney stacks on side walls. Tudor style.
Plan: 2 principal front rooms with central lobby entrance between with a
porch and with service rooms in rear outshut.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 2-window front. Central steeply
pitched gabled porch with ornate pierced bargeboards and chamfered 4-centred
arch doorway with glazed door. Left and right to ground and first floors
chamfered granite mullion 3-light windows with cement weathered lintels.
Similar single light attic window in each gable.
Rear outshut extended and heightened in C20.
Interior not inspected.
Note: "in 1849 Richard Browne Esq of Englebourne gave a house for the use
of the master" (Whites).
Source: White's Directory of 1878.


Listing NGR: SX7839756229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.