History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorndon, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2849 / 52°17'5"N

Longitude: 1.124 / 1°7'26"E

OS Eastings: 613176

OS Northings: 269795

OS Grid: TM131697

Mapcode National: GBR TJY.P0S

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.FTKR

Entry Name: Little Manor

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 23 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281388

Location: Thorndon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thorndon

Built-Up Area: Thorndon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thorndon with Rishangles All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Occold

Listing Text

THORNDON THWAITE ROAD
TM 16 NW
3/107 Little Manor (formerly
listed as Red House and
29.7.55 under Standwell Green)

- II
Former farmhouse. First half of C16 with early C17 alterations. Timber
framed and plastered with a pantiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Continuous
jetty to front. 3-cell form with later rear service wing to left. 5 windows,
late C19 coupled 4-pane and single 6-paned sashes. Lobby entrance: C19 half-
glazed door. Internal stack with 2 detached sawtooth-pattern shafts, that to
the left rebuilt; linked caps. External stack on left gable end has brick
dated 1828. Rear wing has brackets to ends of wallplates (concealed by later
addition). Some good framing visible internally, notably the close-studded
former outside wall (now within a later rear addition) with herringbone brick
nogging. The nogging shows evidence for original colourwashing and lining of
the joints. Rear wall has 2 original windows with chamfered mullions and one
ovolo-mullioned window of c.1600 with early leaded glass. Hall has axial
bridging beam and closely-spaced chamfered joists. No evidence for studded
partition between hall and service end. Evidence for partial axial partition
within service area. Parlour has good 4-division panelled plaster ceiling of
early C17 date, and the remains of a contemporary fireplace with wide
depressed brick arch. In rear wall of parlour, a wide segmental-arched keyed
opening with reeded jambs leads into a C18 addition. Roof over hall and
service end is of clasped purlin form, with arched wind braces. Over the
parlour this roof has been replaced by one of early C17 butt purlin form, the
C16 rafters turned over and re-used. Rear wing has some heavy C16 framing but
has been partially rebuilt, perhaps to make it wider. Roof of butt purlin
form, with a ridge piece, perhaps of c.1700.


Listing NGR: TM1317669795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.