This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7458 / 50°44'44"N
Longitude: -2.7225 / 2°43'21"W
OS Eastings: 349119
OS Northings: 94273
OS Grid: SY491942
Mapcode National: GBR PQ.4GP7
Mapcode Global: FRA 5753.R4R
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary Magdelene
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399839
Location: Loders, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Loders
Built-Up Area: Loders
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Loders St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 4994 LODERS MAIN STREET
9/170 Parish Church of
5-9-60 St Mary Magdelene
Parish Church. Cl2 remains, with C13 nave, C14 west tower and south
porch, and as south chapel. Rubble-stone and dressed stone walls.
Slate roofs with stone gable-copings, and cross over the east gable.
West Tower, Nave with South Chapel and Porch, Chancel. Chancel,
north wall towards west, C12, with remains of respond and scalloped
capital. Chancel mainly rebuilt in C13, and now having C13, C14, and
C15 windows. C20 east window. C15 priest's doorway has hollow-
chamfered jambs and 4-centred head. Nave, without aisles, refenestated
in C14 and C15 and given an early C15 2-bay arcade to the south chapel.
East end of north wall with rebuilt rood-loft staircase. West Tower
of 3 stages with an embattled parapet and gargoyles, set-back
buttresses. West doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred head. Above
is a window of three trefoiled limit with vertical tracery in a 2-
centred head, with a moulded label and returned stops. Second stage
window of two transomed and trefoiled lights with tracery, label and
head-stops. Bell-chamber has a similar window in each wall, without
transomes or labels. Newel-stair in the south-east corner. South
porch, late C14, with upper storey added early in C15, parapet carried
through to the south chapel. Outer archway, with moulded jambs and
segmental-pointed head, with a label. South Chapel, early C15, of 2
bays, with embattled parapet and half-octagonal turret giving access
to room over porch. Windows of 4 lights with Y-super-mullion and
panelled tracery heads. Interior: Tower-arch of 2 orders, outer
chamfered and continuous, inner moulded and springing from attached
shafts. Chancel-arch, late Cl4, with moulded responds and capitals.
South arcade has a central pier with 4 attached shafts and pointed
arches. Roofs: nave and chancel have segnental barrel-vaults, plastered.
South chapel has 5 cambered tie-beams. Fittings: font, square bowl of
Purbeck marble with 4 round-headed panels in each face, round stone
stem with 4 attached shafts, c.1200. Images: South chapel, carved
stone, crucifixion with Virgin and St John, top missing, C15. West
wall of tower, carved stone crucifixion with Virgin, St John and 2
smaLl donor figures in trefoiled ogee head, C15. Chest, south chapel,
incorporated 4 traceried and linenfold panels, Dolphin, and arms of
France C15. Sundials: on east side of entrance to south porch, 2
scratch-dials. Glass: Nave, north west window tracery, C15. South
chapel, south east window, figures of saints, abbott and pilgrim.
Wall Tablet, south chapel to Rt Hon Sir E Nepean, 1822, bust in low
RCHM Dorset I, p 137 (1)
Listing NGR: SY4911994273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings