This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0323 / 52°1'56"N
Longitude: -0.9951 / 0°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 469034
OS Northings: 237580
OS Grid: SP690375
Mapcode National: GBR 9XB.F8L
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.P5SV
Entry Name: Stable Block to North of School
Listing Date: 22 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288411
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399624
Location: Akeley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Akeley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 63 NE AKELEY AKELEY WOOD
2/24 Stable block to N of
Former stable block, now school-rooms. 1860's by G. Devey, altered 1946.
Ironstone plinth, half timbered above with some patterning and whitewashed
roughcast infill. Brick wing to N. Tiled roofs, bargeboards with
elaborately carved finials and brackets to base. Small ironstone chimneys
to grooms' chambers. Style to match that of house. One storey. Irregular
facades with gabled projections and some jettying. S. front of five bays
has high wooden mullion windows with 1946 metal casements below. E. front
has blocked entrance with moulded stone pointed arch, buttresses and clock
tower to right. Tower of four stages has half-timbered top with clock,
remainder roughcast with stone lancet windows, buttresses and pyramid
roof. Interior has large central hall with pointed arched entrances
to former stables, carriages and washing area; flats for grooms and
riding school to rear, all now converted for school use.
Listing NGR: SP6903437580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings