History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southolt, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2742 / 52°16'27"N

Longitude: 1.2136 / 1°12'49"E

OS Eastings: 619341

OS Northings: 268870

OS Grid: TM193688

Mapcode National: GBR VLL.FMS

Mapcode Global: VHL9V.Z3GF

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288635

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281334

Location: Southolt, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Southolt

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Worlingworth with Southolt

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bedingfield

Listing Text

SOUTHOLT
TM 16 NE
4/53 Church of St Margaret
29.7.55
- II*
Redundant parish church. C15 nave and porch, late C18 chancel (a brick at
east end scratch-dated 1771). Restored 1907 when west end of nave was
rebuilt. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Medieval work faced in
knapped flint with stone admixture; stone dressings. Red brick chancel with a
chequerwork in dark headers. Slated roofs to nave and porch, plaintiles to
chancel. The nave side windows are in Perpendicular style, the 2 at the west
end entirely renewed, the others much restored. Moulded north and south
doorways, both with original doors. Rebuilt west end has gabled bell turret
with a single bell. Porch facade has all-over chequer flushwork; the gable,
with a canopied niche, has been rebuilt. Moulded entrance arch with hoodmould
on mutilated stops. Small chancel, the 3-light east window with intersecting
tracery. Interior. Original nave roof with scissor-braced coupled rafters,
ashlar pieces and a moulded cornice; a boarded-in section at the east end is
the remains of a canopy of honour. The west end of the roof was renewed in
1907. Chancel arch on corbel heads of a king and bishop, probably positioned
here in C19. In north east nave is the blocked 4-centre arched entrance to
the rood loft stair. C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved with the
signs of the Evangelists and shield-bearing angels; lions and woodwoses
against the stem. The carving has been partially renewed. The pulpit,
chancel stalls and remaining nave benches date from later C19; other
furnishings now removed. At west end of nave, C19 framed copies of the
Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Creed. On north chancel wall, a simple tablet
to Dame Ann Henniker (1792). 4 ledger slabs in sanctuary floor; matrix of
brass in nave floor.


Listing NGR: TM1934168870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.