History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mursley, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9495 / 51°56'58"N

Longitude: -0.8125 / 0°48'45"W

OS Eastings: 481711

OS Northings: 228554

OS Grid: SP817285

Mapcode National: GBR D15.RDY

Mapcode Global: VHDTK.V8TC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398821

Location: Mursley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK17

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Mursley

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Mursley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Mursley

Listing Text

SP 82 NW MURSLEY MAIN STREET
(west side)
4/77 Church of St. Mary

19.8.59

GV II*

Parish church. C14, C15 tower, all very much restored and partly
rebuilt 1867. Coursed rubble stone, part roughly dressed. Nave
and chancel have tiled roofs, aisles have lead roofs. W. tower of
3 stages has diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and 2-light
openings to bell-chamber. W.side has 4-light traceried window and
single light above. Small blocked lancets to N. and S. Nave has
clerestory of 4 quatrefoil windows. Aisles have 3 bays of 2-light
C19 Decorated windows with varied tracery, and similar windows to E.
N. and S. doors have moulded 2-centred arches, that to S. with C19
hood and carved head stops. C19 S. porch. Chancel has 2 bays of similar
windows and 3-light to E., similar doorway to S. Interior: triple
hollow-chamfered tower arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays has moulded arches
on octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Similar chancel arch
on semi-octagonal piers, Aisles have cusped ogee piscinae and corbels
with ballflower bases flanking E. windows. Chancel has C14 cusped
ogee piscina with stop-chamfered sides, and C19 double sedilia with
shaped stone armrest. N. wall has blind recess with C19 moulded
arch on triple shafts with carved foliage caps. C19 roofs, that to
chancel on carved foliage corbels. Fittings : C17 pulpit with carved
arcaded panels. Other fittings C19, including elaborately arcaded
carved marble reredos. 1862 glass in E. window. Monuments: in chancel:
brass to Cecilia Fortescue 1570 on stone altar tomb with blind
tracery and blank heraldic panels, monument with painted kneeling
figures of Sir John Fortescue and wife, 1607 above; undated stone and
marble monument to Sir Francis Fortescue (son of Sir John) and wife
with painted kneeling figures in niches and mourning children.
RCHM II p 203-4


Listing NGR: SP8171128554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.