This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0311 / 54°1'52"N
Longitude: -1.503 / 1°30'10"W
OS Eastings: 432652
OS Northings: 459574
OS Grid: SE326595
Mapcode National: GBR KPYT.DP
Mapcode Global: WHC87.WYG1
Entry Name: Group of Three Chest Tombs 4 Metres North of South Wall of Quaker Burial Ground
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331814
Location: Scotton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Scotton
Built-Up Area: Scotton (Harrogate)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Scotton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 NW SCOTTON MAIN STREET
(east side, off)
5/57 Group of 3 chest tombs
4 metres north of south
wall of Quaver burial
3 chest tombs. Early - mid C18. For the Watkinson family. Gritstone.
Each is composed of a single moulded slab resting on a plinth of 4 or more
blocks. The central slab has the remains of a deeply cut inscription: "HERE
LIETH THE BO / DY OF GEORGE WAT / KINSON OF SCOT / TON SON OF WILL..." the
remainder illegible. The group over grown and tilted by a large tree
growing between them at time of resurvey. George Watkinson took over
Scotton Hall (qv) in 1653 and in 1658 he bought the Chantry House and lands.
William Watkinson (? George's son) conveyed lands for the burial ground to
the Quakers' Trustees in 1670. In 1928 the grave stones of William and Ann
were recorded in the graveyard, the latter being the southernmost of this
group, Ann being commemorated with 1 or 2 children. The group has
considerable historical significance in the history of Scotton. Included
for group value. A T Waterer, 'Records of the Parish of Farnham etc',
c1928, Typescript, Harrogate Public Library.
Listing NGR: SE3265259574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings