History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Equestrian Statue Approximately 150 Metres East of Newby Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Newby with Mulwith, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.1016 / 54°6'5"N

Longitude: -1.4669 / 1°28'0"W

OS Eastings: 434957

OS Northings: 467426

OS Grid: SE349674

Mapcode National: GBR LP60.6G

Mapcode Global: WHD96.F5QJ

Entry Name: Equestrian Statue Approximately 150 Metres East of Newby Hall

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331805

Location: Newby with Mulwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Newby with Mulwith

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Bishop Monkton

Listing Text


1/48 Equestrian statue
approximately 150 metres
east of Newby Hall


Statue and plinth. Late C17 and late C19. Carrara marble figures, bronze
reins, ashlar plinth. Tall plinth with moulded base and cornice, rounded
ends. The mounted figure in armour holds reins in left hand and a staff in
the right; the horse stands over a cowering figure with left hand raised to
protect himself. The statue was made in Italy and originally represented
John Sobieski, King of Poland, trampling a Turk; it commemorated his victory
in Vienna. The statue was bought in 1675 by Sir Robert Vyner (the goldsmith
responsible for Charles II's Coronation regalia) who brought it to London at
the Restoration. Sir Robert had the head refashioned to represent Charles
II and the lower figure represented Oliver Cromwell. In 1739 the site was
taken for the construction of the Mansion House (completed 1754) and the
statue was removed to an inn yard, then to the Vyner estate in Lincolnshire.
Lady Mary Robinson of Newby married Henry Vyner and inherited Newby Hall in
1859. The statue was brought to Newby Park in 1883.

Listing NGR: SE3495767426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.