History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southwell Baptish Chapel and Adjoining House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.074 / 53°4'26"N

Longitude: -0.9574 / 0°57'26"W

OS Eastings: 469947

OS Northings: 353487

OS Grid: SK699534

Mapcode National: GBR BK3.BRH

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.8ZBR

Entry Name: Southwell Baptish Chapel and Adjoining House

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289201

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242438

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Built-Up Area: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

NOTTINGHAM ROAD
SK6953
1919-0/10/131 (East side)
11/08/61 Southwell Baptist chapel and
adjoining house

GV II

Baptist chapel and adjoining house. Built 1808 as the parish
workhouse and converted to chapel with attached manse c1839.
Mid C19 and late C20 additions. Restored and interior refitted
1989 by John Severn. Brick, with stucco front, stone dressings
and hipped slate roof. Plinth, first floor band, moulded
eaves, single gable stack. Front windows are glazing bar
sashes. Single range, 6 windows, with a projecting
semicircular central bay at front and rear. 2 storey chapel,
to right, has 4 tall round headed sashes and below, 4 smaller
flat headed sashes. 3 storey house, to left, has 2 flat headed
sashes on each floor. Projecting rear bay has similar
fenestration to front bay. Right end has a stucco porch with
parapet and the inscription "Baptist Chapel" over the door.
Behind this, parapeted brick porch, 1989. Rear has, to left, a
mid C19 addition, brick with pantile roof, with single gable
and side wall stacks. 2 storeys; 3 window range. Windows are
cross casements with segmental heads. Off-centre door, also
with segmental head.
(Buildings of England: Elizabeth Williamson: Nottinghamshire:
London: 1979-: 333).


Listing NGR: SK6994753487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.