History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Turweston, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0347 / 52°2'5"N

Longitude: -1.1262 / 1°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 460036

OS Northings: 237730

OS Grid: SP600377

Mapcode National: GBR 8VT.J27

Mapcode Global: VHCWK.F4G0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 397145

Location: Turweston, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, NN13

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Turweston

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Turweston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Brackley

Listing Text

SP 6037 TURWESTON MAIN STREET
(west side)
8/141 Church of St. Mary

13.7.66

GV II*

Rubble stone. Lead roof to nave, other roofs of slate with coped
gables. Restored 1863 (rain-water head). Saddle-back roof to
west tower by G.E. Street (Pevsner). Interior has 2 bays: the north
arcade is Norman with carved caps to shafts on piers; the south
arcade is Transitional with moulded caps and a pointed west arch.
There is a small Norman window on the west wall of north aisle.
Decorated style 2-light windows in aisles and clerestory are C19
or restored. Nave roof is early C16 with moulded tie beams, bosses
and traceried spandrels to braces. The chancel arch is C13 and
the east window Perpendicular; the north wall has an arch to the
vestry and a Decorated crocketted recess filled-in. The south wall
has an Early English piscina and 2 arches into the C19 chapel.
The furnishings are C19 with a carved stone altar and reredos flanked
by figures of saints in niches. The pulpit and low chancel screen
are Norman-Revival. C19 glass.
Monuments: 3 brasses in the chancel including one to Thomas Grene
and his wife 1490; monument on east wall of north aisle to Simon
Heynes and wife 1628 shows 2 small figures kneeling at lecturn with
baby below in frame of Corinthian columns, entablature with
flaming ball finials and coat of arms, and lower frieze with
inscription.


Listing NGR: SP6003637730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.