History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0505 / 54°3'1"N

Longitude: -2.799 / 2°47'56"W

OS Eastings: 347784

OS Northings: 461907

OS Grid: SD477619

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWL.TS

Mapcode Global: WH846.ZG95

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383247

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Bulk

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE NORTH ROAD
1685-1/7/217 (North side)
22/12/53 Church of St John

GV II*

Church. Consecrated 1755, west tower by Thomas Harrison added
1784, south porch added 1873, alterations c1920, vested in
Redundant Churches Fund 1983. Sandstone ashlar with slate
roof. Comprises a nave with semicircular apse, a west tower,
and a south porch.
The nave is of 5 bays and has projecting quoins, and a cornice
below a parapet with moulded coping. The tall windows have
architraves and semicircular heads with keystones and impost
blocks. On the north side the lower part of the west bay is
occupied by a door architrave with cornice and pulvinated
frieze; the window above, although with a higher sill, matches
the other nave windows. The doorway is now blocked and
contains a window. On the south side the east bay is similar,
but has doors with raised and fielded panels. In the west bay
is a single-storey porch in a matching style, with an
architrave, and a pediment which rises above a cornice. Above
is a round-headed window matching the others. The apse has 2
curved windows and is flanked by windows matching those of the
side walls. The west wall contains similar windows on each
side of the tower.
The tower is of 3 stages. The lowest stage has lunette windows
to north and south, with a rectangular window below on the
north. On the west side are doors of raised and fielded panels
in an architrave with pulvinated frieze and cornice. Above, a
tablet records that the tower was built from a legacy of
Thomas Bowes. The middle stage has clock faces on 3 sides the
western one in a moulded recess. The upper stage, above a
dentilled cornice, has rectangular louvred bell openings
within aedicules which have Tuscan pilasters, and pediments
rising from an upper cornice. The tower is capped by a rotunda
with rectangular openings between engaged Tuscan columns
carrying a curved entablature with triglyph frieze. Set back
behind this is a drum decorated with swags, carrying a stone
spirelet.
INTERIOR: on 3 sides there are galleries with fronts of oak
raised and fielded panels, carried on square panelled columns,
with Ionic columns rising at gallery level to support plaster
cornices, the ceiling between the cornices being curved
upwards as a barrel-vault. The central part of the west
gallery front breaks forwards with curved sides and is carried
on 2 timber fluted Doric columns. Below the front of the west
gallery a glazed screen has been added. The gallery is reached
by 2 staircases with turned newels and ramped handrails.
The east end of the church was re-ordered in the 1870s and
again in the 1920s, when a north chapel and south vestry were
created by removing the eastern bays of both galleries,
leaving the fronts running through, and putting plaster walls
pierced by lunettes within these bays at gallery level, and
walls of timber and glass at the lower level.
FITTINGS: the nave box pews are of oak and are arranged in 2
double rows. The 3rd and 4th pews from the front on the south
side were the Corporation Pew and are arranged as one with a
seat in the middle. The pews curve at the east end where the
central aisle widens, originally to allow space for the
pulpit, which was replaced by the present ironwork pulpit in
1875. The raised sanctuary area is also an alteration, but
turned mahogany communion rails survive from the original
scheme. The box pews were removed from the galleries during
the C20, but the west organ survives in its original mahogany
case. The original organ dated from 1785, but was rebuilt in
1868, replaced in 1898, and rebuilt in 1939 and 1992. Within
the tower the architrave and cornice of the original west nave
doorway can be seen. The clock mechanism, supplied by Bell and
Atkinson of Lancaster and dated 1886, occupies a glass case in
the middle stage.
STAINED GLASS: the apse wall is painted with the Ten
Commandments and the Creed, and its 2 windows contain glass of
c1870 with roundels depicting scenes from the life of Christ.
The north chapel contains 2 windows of c1895, probably by
Shrigley and Hunt.


Listing NGR: SD4778461907

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.