This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4067 / 54°24'24"N
Longitude: -1.7308 / 1°43'50"W
OS Eastings: 417574
OS Northings: 501284
OS Grid: NZ175012
Mapcode National: GBR JKCH.32
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.DH2L
Entry Name: The Eleanor Bowes Hospital
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322855
Location: Richmond, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Richmond
Built-Up Area: Richmond
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1. ANCHORAGE HILL
1549 (East Side)
(The Eleanor Bowes
NZ 1701 SE 4/10 1.8.52.
Founded in 1607 by Eleanor Bowes as an almshouse for three widows. Small
one-storey rectangular building in uncoursed rubble incorporating the
remains of the C12 chapel to St Edmund the King. C12 ashlar buttresses
divide the North and South walls into three bays. The South side has
one C17 doorway and one modern. C19 windows. East face has C14 traceried
two-light window (blocked) and a deep stringcourse with circular medallions.
West wall rebuilt in 1607. Shaped foot-stones to gable each bearing
a coat of arms, Bowes on the North and Musgrave on the South. The exterior
chimney stack has a panel, in a moulded frame, bearing the arms of Bowes
impaling Musgrave. The adjoining doorway in the yard wall has a flat
arch and moulded cornice. Interior:- West wall has early C17 fireplace
and above it is a modelled plaster frieze. East wall has a similar frieze
in two portions, each showing a coat of arms (charges are obliterated
but probably Bowes and Musgrave) supported by amorini.
Nos 1 to 7 (consec) and Rookery Neuk form a group
Listing NGR: NZ1757401284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings