This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4847 / 52°29'4"N
Longitude: -1.9118 / 1°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 406085
OS Northings: 287418
OS Grid: SP060874
Mapcode National: GBR 5X7.R6
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.TT54
Entry Name: Premises Occupied by Gallen Kamp (Argent Works)
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217083
Location: Birmingham, B1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Premises occupied by
SP 0687 SW 28/8
Corner site with Legge Lane. The former Argent Works of 1862-63, architect
J G Poland. A large 3 and 4 storey L-plan works enclosing single storey shed
on 2 sides. Built as a pen manufacturing for Q E Wiley who also installed
a Turkish Baths in the 4 storey block at the end of the Frederick Street range.
Red brick with stone and gault and buff brick dressings, banding and chequerwork
achieving a lively polychromy. The arcaded elevations take their inspiration
from Florentine - Lombard early Renaissance palazzi with corner towers to the
9 bay Legge Lane front and the Hamman providing a similar emphasis to the
end of the 22 bay Frederick Street range. The ground floor is slightly battered,
its carcaded windows with polychrome voussoirs. A billet mould string course
forms the base of the principal 2 storey arcade containing 2 light windows
divided by colonettes, those on second floor with stone plate tracery in the
arches. Stone machicolated main cornice with low parapet, originally pierced
and later heightened in plain brick nearly to the eaves of the tower belvederes.
The latter had tiled spires which have been truncated. The Hamman block has
plain sash windows in the narrower bays of its arcade corresponding to those
in corner towers and with the same arcaded lights to its belvedere storey.
The pedimented doorway to Legge Lane is C1900 insertion. Modern waggon
entrance to Frederick Street. Segmental arched doorway to former Hamman contained
in right hand of 3 large ground floor arches. The fireproof construction
is of some interest, the floors consisting of flat hollow brick arches with
wrought iron tie rods linked to right L iron skewbacks, the floors are paved
with brick internally and the flat roof was asphalted. The chimney stack
rising to the rear of the former Hamman is square and tapered with polychrome
banding to the cap. This stack served the engine of the manufactory, excess
steam being used for the baths. The Argent Works are the large in the inner
jewellry quarter area and Legge Lane elevation dominates Newhall Hill.
For details of construction see "The Building News" 21 Aug 1863, p 650.
Listing NGR: SP0609387387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings