This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4659 / 52°27'57"N
Longitude: -1.8886 / 1°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 407664
OS Northings: 285337
OS Grid: SP076853
Mapcode National: GBR 62F.XX
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.68XY
Entry Name: Church of St Alban the Martyr
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217000
Location: Birmingham, B12
Electoral Ward/Division: Nechells
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Highgate
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2016
SP 08 NE 7/25
Church of St Alban the Martyr
(Formerly listed under Bordesley)
1879-81 by J L Pearson. A large Early English style church of cruciform plan. Red brick with ashlar dressings and some diaper work. Severe extension relying on play of brick against stone except at west end. Very tall clerestory above aisles,steep tiled roofs, buttressed apsidal chancel. The west end is flanked by buttressed turrets with stone spired, open lancet arcaded, caps. Shallow narthex, doorway porch with multi shafted orders and applied gable against blind arcade with quatrefoils above; the recessed plane with 3 centred arch contains trefoiled rose window above lancet arcade. Pearson's south-west tower and its intended spire, was hardly begun and the existing unsympathetic square plain tower with hump back roof was completed 1938 by E F Reynolds. The interior is of course the major feature of interest although the nave lacks length for the soaring elevations and there is a cramping of proportions and space in relation to height. Very narrow pointed arches to ambulatory arcading and broader but still steep ones to the nave returned into transepts, the north are longer than the south. Shafting to piers and shapely, richly moulded arcade arches. The principal shafts carried the ribs of stone vaulting used throughout, particularly fine in chancel. Triforium gallery passage with trefoil balustrade. Very tall fine 2 light clerestory windows. The northern is quite deeply expressed internally with a canted 3 bay arcade allowing shallow baptistry, and with gallery above but uncomfortably at lower level to triforium. It is this feature which adds to the awkward shortness of the nave, otherwise the elevational treatment is totally and convincingly consistent. The south chapel window has freestanding shafts to very narrow lights. Light open scroll work iron screen to chancel. Polychrome rood. The altar piece in the south chapel is a painted triptych in copper panels, good Birmingham Arts and Crafts work, by Kate and Myra Bunce, 1919. Stained glass in east window by Henry Payne, otherwise clear or tinted leaded glass. Despite the weaknesses of the design the quality of the interior finishes, the use of brick and stone, undoubtedly a formative influence in the young Bidlake.
Listing NGR: SP0766485337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings