History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Newchurch, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.662 / 50°39'43"N

Longitude: -1.2189 / 1°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 455306

OS Northings: 84989

OS Grid: SZ553849

Mapcode National: GBR 9DB.JMW

Mapcode Global: FRA 87BB.8YT

Entry Name: Wacklands

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310201

Location: Newchurch, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Newchurch

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Newchurch All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

1352-0/1/163 Wacklands

House. Built in 1736 by William Thatcher with late C18
extensions to rear and c1970 extension. Original part faced
with red mathematical tiles on stone base. Old tiled roof with
end brick chimneystacks. 2 storeys and basement, 5 windows.
Gable ends with kneelers. Dated WTE 1736 on stone
stringcourse. Modillion eaves cornice. 1st floor windows have
9 panes. Ground floor windows have 12 panes and wooden
keystones. 4-light semi-basement windows to left with stone
mullions. Porch and room above (used for spectators of
cockfighting) demolished since original survey. Central
doorcase with wooden pediment and brackets, reeded pilasters,
panelled reveals, rectangular fanlight and 4-panelled door,
the top 2 panels glazed. 3 stone steps. 2 iron Neo-Classical
footscrapers. Right side elevation has late C18 extension of 2
storeys red brick with grey headers. Canted bay to ground
floor. S-shaped iron tie. Attached are 4 steps forming a
mounting block with a small gate over set in a red brick wall
dividing the house from the farm, the steps being in a
V-shaped niche. Late C18 wing to rear of stone rubble with
brick dressings and external brick chimneystack. 16-pane sash
and 6-fielded panelled door.
Interior has a ground floor panelled room of 1736 with an
introduced C18 marble fireplace. Staircase has stick balusters
and dado panelling. Panelled room upstairs of identical type
to ground floor. Early C19 basket grate in marble eared
surround. 6-fielded panelled doors upstairs. Kitchen has
blocks of stone with early C19 carvings of warships in the
Solent. A memorial site dating from 1249 which once belonged
to Quarr Abbey. The monks fish stew still survives.
(Winter CWR:The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight:196).

Listing NGR: SZ5530684989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.