This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5748 / 53°34'29"N
Longitude: -2.9071 / 2°54'25"W
OS Eastings: 340031
OS Northings: 409074
OS Grid: SD400090
Mapcode National: GBR 8W43.F7
Mapcode Global: WH86H.9DXT
Entry Name: Aughton Hall
Listing Date: 11 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386361
Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39
District: West Lancashire
Town: West Lancashire
Electoral Ward/Division: Knowsley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Aughton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD40NW ASMALL LANE
663-1/4/124 (South side)
11/08/72 Aughton Hall
Small manor house, now house. Probably late C16 or early C17,
altered in later C17 (datestone 1670); derelict in mid C20,
and recently restored. Handmade red brick on plinth of coursed
sandstone rubble, part containing the principal elements of
former timber-framed construction; with sandstone chimney
stacks and composition tile roofs.
L-plan formed by a formerly timber-framed range on a
north-south axis, with a late C17 front range added across the
north end, and an outshut added in the angle.
2 storeys, with attics to the 4-window front range; this has a
sandstone plinth, a 2-course band, a plain doorway in the
centre, a rectangular datestone set low in the wall to the
left with a deep chamfered surround and raised lettering "B H
H. G A. 1670", and rectangular C20 windows with rendered
lintels; gable chimneys and an added chimney attached to the
left corner. The rear wing has a chamfered stone plinth
carried round, 4 windows and a central round-headed doorway in
the centre of the west side, and on the east side 2 external
stone chimney stacks with offsets, one very close to the south
corner and the other now surrounded by the outshut.
INTERIOR: the rear wing contains 6 bays of timber-framed
structure with full-height stop-chamfered wallposts which have
chamfered square feet, massive stop-chamfered lateral beams
and large closely-set joists with tongue-stopped chamfer (some
recently replaced); and large king-post roof trusses with
raked struts (some with carpenter's marks) and wind-braced
purlins, some wind-braces missing and the purlins at the south
end with vacant windbrace mortices against the present gable
wall showing that the range formerly extended further to the
south; at the south end, a fine moulded Tudor-arched fireplace
on each floor, close to the gable wall; purlin roof to the
front range, with some re-used timbers.
HISTORY: formerly the property of a branch of the Hesketh
family of Rufford.
Listing NGR: SD4003109074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings