History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14, Buckingham Street Wc2

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.5081 / 51°30'29"N

Longitude: -0.1232 / 0°7'23"W

OS Eastings: 530345

OS Northings: 180467

OS Grid: TQ303804

Mapcode National: GBR JF.HK

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.TC77

Entry Name: 14, Buckingham Street Wc2

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291063

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208922

Location: Westminster, London, WC2N

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

24.2.58 No. 14

G.V. II*

Large end of terrace town house. c.1679-80, rebuilt after fire in 1684
and again in 1791-92, originally part of Barbon's development of the York
House estate. Brown brick, concealed roof. 4 storeys and basement. 4
windows wide (left hand bay blind) and long 10 window return towards river
with slightly recessed 4-window central range. Doorway to right with
panelled door and fanlight in stucco surround of engaged Doric columns and
entablature with bracketed mutule cornice. Recessed glazing bar sashes
under flat gauged arches. Band course over basement to return. Both
fronts finished off with plain parapet copings. The windows in slightly
advanced "wings" of return all have wrought iron guards. Cast iron area
railings. Interior has plain late C.18 and early C.19 detailing and a
stone geometrical staircase of semicircular plan with plain iron
balustrading, etc. L.C.C. plaque commemorates the residence of
Samuel Pepys, in the 1684 house, from 1688 to 1701; Robert Harley,
afterwards Earl of Oxford succeeded Pepys in residence until his dismissal
from office in 1714; in the C.19 the present house, let as chambers,with
its riverside views, was much favoured by artists such as Prince Hoare,
William Etty, Clarkson Stanfield etc.

Survey of London; Vol. XVIII.
Georgian London; John Summerson.

Listing NGR: TQ3034280464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.