This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6795 / 50°40'46"N
Longitude: -1.1442 / 1°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 460559
OS Northings: 86996
OS Grid: SZ605869
Mapcode National: GBR 9D7.CJ1
Mapcode Global: FRA 87H8.VD1
Entry Name: Stoneham
Listing Date: 14 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310136
Location: Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Brading
Built-Up Area: Brading
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Brading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6087 MALL ROAD (West side)
House. Early C17, the deeds going back to 1630, refronted
c1720 and extended in 1912. Front elevation mainly grey
headers in header bond with red brick dressings part red brick
in header band, other elevations Isle of Wight stone rubble.
Tiled roof with 2 brick chimneystacks, with catslide to rear.
3-bay lobby entrance house of 2 storeys with 1 storey
right-hand extension. Brick cornice and platband. Two 16-pane
sashes with stone cills and rubbed brick voussoirs, but
left-hand ground floor window now a wooden casement.
Right-hand doorcase with flat C20 moulded wooden hood on
brackets, wooden pegged architrave and modern panelled door.
To right of this red brick header band section, part of
original C17 building but adapted to form the service end
c1720, with platband, C20 casements and one door with cambered
arch. 1912 1 storey extension added in stretcher band. Left
side elevation has gable end with kneelers and 1 small
rectangular window blocked near the ground floor. Interior has
timber-framed walls with square framing. Former kitchen has
the remains of a stone surround and brick circular bread oven
and the joists have lamb's tongue stops. Chamfered spine beam
and upright post with 2 roll mouldings. Hall has C18 cupboard.
Half-winder staircase. Some C17 3-plank doors with iron hinges
and an early C18 2 fielded panelled door with HL hinges. Lobby
has an early C18 trap door in the ceiling with butterfly
hinges. Roof has remains of wattle and daub infill but many
beams have been renewed. It was heightened c1720 when the
building was refronted.
Listing NGR: SZ6055986996
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings